Kyrie Irving says refusal to get vaccinated is about ‘what’s best for me’

Kyrie Irving says refusal to get vaccinated is about ‘what’s best for me’
Kyrie Irving says refusal to get vaccinated is about ‘what’s best for me’

Kyrie Irving stated on Wednesday that he didn't want to lose money or a chance to win a championship with the Brooklyn Nets, but that he was doing "what's best for myself" by refusing the Covid-19 vaccine. The Nets said on Tuesday that Irving will not be joining the team because he is not eligible to play in home games due to a New York law requiring professional athletes on one of the city's teams to get immunised before practising or playing in public settings.

Irving claimed on Instagram Live that he loved basketball and would not retire.

“I am doing what’s best for me. I know the consequences here and if it means that I’m judged and demonized for that, that’s just what it is,” Irving said. “That’s the role I play, but I never wanted to give up my passion, my love, my dream just over this mandate.”

Irving would have been able to work out with the Nets and play in games away from New York. The Nets will compensate him for those, but by missing the home games, he will forfeit roughly half of his $35 million (£25.6) salary.

“So what? It’s not about the money,” Irving said. “It’s not always about the money. It’s about choosing what’s best for you. You think I really want to lose money?”

Irving stated that he supported both those who were and were not vaccinated, as well as doctors. The All-Star guard didn't say he didn't want to be vaccinated, just that he wasn't going to get one.

“Once again, I’m going to repeat this. This is not about the Nets, this is not about the organization, it’s not about the NBA, it’s not politics,” Irving said. “It’s not any one thing.


“It’s just about the freedom of what I want to do.”

Irving hasn't talked to journalists since the Nets' media day on September 27, when he appeared via Zoom and requested privacy when asked about his immunisation status.

The Nets are a title contender, and Irving stated that he did not want to waste his time with them. Sean Marks, the team's general manager, stated that the team would gladly welcome Irving back in the right conditions, and Irving stated that he intended to play again.

“No, I’m not retiring and no I’m not going and leaving this game like this,” Irving said. “There’s still so much more work to do and there still so many other (youngsters) to inspire, because I know they want to be better than me.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post