League of Legends Esports Player Biofrost Comes Out As Gay And Calls For Better Inclusion In Esports

League of Legends Esports Player Biofrost Comes Out As Gay And Calls For Better Inclusion In Esports
League of Legends Esports Player Biofrost Comes Out As Gay And Calls For Better Inclusion In Esports

Biofrost, a professional League of Legends player and member of the Dignitas team, has come out as gay. The support player announced the news on Twitter, along with a plea for more diversity in gaming and esports. "I've heard homophobic slurs from either my teammates or the staff on practically every squad I've been on and felt uncomfortable, even borderline frightened of losing my job if I reported the truth," Biofrost stated. "I've accepted who I am at this point in my life, and it's taken me a long time to get there."

Biofrost detailed his homophobic and sexist childhood home life, including how he was "constantly tormented at school." Things didn't get any better when he moved into esports, where the notoriously nasty esports scene of League of Legends is rife with homophobia. Years later, Biofrost has accepted himself and is taking the initial steps toward improving professional esports.

"I'm not making this announcement because I owe everyone the details of my personal life, but because I want there to be more awareness about the problems our community faces," Biofrost added. "My story is not unique. The gaming industry is rampant with sexism, prejudice, and homophobia. I don't believe there's a quick fix, but it starts with us holding ourselves to a higher standard and treating everyone with dignity. We need to educate people in esports on proper conduct within the workplace."

Famous esports stars from around the world, including fighting game pro-Sonic Fox, League of Legends player Sren Bjerg, esports caster Isaac CB, and former LoL pro and current streamer Doublelift, have all expressed their support for Biofrost, according to Eurogamer. Biofrost quit Team Solo Mid in 2017, which appears to be a wise decision. TSM was recently the subject of an exposé accusing the company of having a toxic workplace due to a volcanic co-founder who publicly shames colleagues and fires people on the spur of the moment.

As part of the Dignitas team, Biofrost competes. Unfortunately, esports is infamous for its nasty trash talk and lack of inclusivity, which is why Biofrost's statements have been hailed as courageous. Women, in particular, confront challenges in esports, prompting the creation of programs like Game Changers, which is an all-female esports program for Valorant players.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post