UFC 267 Results: Islam Makhachev wins a first-round submission over Dan Hooker
After another strong victory at UFC 267, Islam Makhachev sees no other alternative except a lightweight title match. On Saturday, Makhachev (21-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) extended his winning streak to nine fights by submitting Dan Hooker (21-11 MMA, 11-7 UFC) in the first round of their featured bout at Etihad Arena on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi with a Kimura. Many thought it would be the most difficult matchup of his career, but Makhachev had no trouble raising his hand.
With his teammate and coach Khabib Nurmagomedov having given up the belt for retirement more than a year ago, Makhachev believes he must be the next in line to fight for the title against the winner of the UFC 269 main event between champ Charles Oliveira (31-8 MMA, 19-8 UFC) and Dustin Poirier (28-6 MMA, 20-5 UFC).
“I feel good because I show my level – I don’t know how many minutes (it took),” Makhachev said at the UFC 267 post-fight news conference. “Now everybody going to talk like Hooker is an easy opponent, he doesn’t have grappling or wrestling. Hooker is tough. He beat a lot of wrestling, the grappling guy took. He beat Gilbert Burns, many guys. I think I deserve it now. When (Michael) Chandler beat Hooker they give him a title fight. Why not (me)? I am ready, too. I’m here not to beat 15 people and fight. I have nine fights (in a row now).”
Coming in, Makhachev stated that he knew he had to do something special to beat Hooker. He did exactly that by becoming the first New Zealander to be submitted since 2012, and now he's pleading with the UFC to give him the chance.
A critical 155-pound contest between Chandler and Justin Gaethje at UFC 268 next Saturday will undoubtedly determine how the division plays out. Regardless of what occurs, Makhachev believes he should be in front of the line, and he expects Poirier to be the man standing across from him.
“I think Poirier is gonna beat Oliveira,” Makhachev said. “Many things going to change in next couple months. That’s why I’m going to wait.”
Makhachev landed a punch and then launched forward for a takedown in less than a minute, landing Hooker on the mat squarely in front of his corner, where former lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov was offering advice.
Makhachev was methodical yet calculated in his approach to Hooker's resistance, isolating the arm and then locking on the kimura to build up the submission.
Once Makhachev had his wrists clasped, he lifted Hooker's arm up and over, twisting it around the back of his neck while simultaneously making sure his leg was over his head, preventing "The Hangman" from fleeing.
Hooker was forced to tap out a split second later as Makhachev claimed yet another overwhelming victory, this time over a top-10 ranked opponent.
Post a Comment