UFC 267 Results: Khamzat Chimaev def. Li Jingliang becomes the second-oldest UFC champion in history
Glover Teixeira sees age as nothing more than a number. Teixeira ultimately accomplished his ambition of becoming champion after tapping out Jan Blachowicz in the second round of the UFC 267 main event only days after his 42nd birthday.
After securing a takedown against the cage, Teixeira floored Blachowicz and then sunk in the rear-naked choke to get the submission at 3:02 in the second round, it was an awe-inspiring effort.
“I have no words to describe,” Teixeira said after UFC President Dana White wrapped the title around his waist. “I was thinking of so many things to say to you. I thought about what I’m going to say and I don’t have it. I’m breaking the rules. 42 years old and I’m going to keep breaking those rules.”
Teixeira put in a great performance from start to finish, with a specific game plan in mind to avoid Blachowicz's strength, which worked out brilliantly in the end.
Teixeira pushed forward with purpose as soon as he was released from the corner, hoping to close the distance and secure the takedown that would put Blachowicz on the ground. Teixeira was peppering minor strikes inside the guard, including a few of well-placed elbows, while simply grinding away at Blachowicz, who was caught underneath him.
Following a stifling start, Blachowicz began to relax his grip, allowing several shots to slip through and smack Teixeira in the chin. Unlike the previous round, Blachowicz was better prepared for the wrestling attacks, and he began punching Teixeira with some hard blows, albeit he wasn't really hurting him yet.
HE DID IT!@gloverteixeira is champion of the world at 42 years old 🏆 #UFC267 pic.twitter.com/p4L5ibzk7P
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) October 30, 2021
Teixeira was still able to step forward and throw with the same amount of strength, which resulted in a left hook catching Blachowicz and putting him on wobbly legs for a brief while.
Teixeira then took advantage of the opportunity to move inside and grab the takedown, bringing Blachowicz back into his world on the ground. Teixeira had no intention of letting Blachowicz get up this time, as he advanced to grab the back and lock up the submission with his arm under the chin.
Blachowicz tapped the canvas as soon as the rear-naked choke was tightened, and Teixeira became the second-oldest UFC champion in history, behind only Randy Couture, who held the heavyweight belt at the age of 45.
“Jan is a tremendous champion,” Teixeira said. “He’s a hard-working man. I love this man. He has my respect forever.
“I love this. This is my house. I’ve been here before. This is my house. I love this. Never give up on your dreams. No matter what people. Don’t listen to those negative people. Believe in yourself.”
Teixeira's record had dropped to 2-3 over five fights after a landslide loss to Corey Anderson just three years earlier, and it appeared that his finest days were behind him. That's when the ageless wonder went on an incredible five-fight winning streak before winning his sixth in a row in the UFC 267 main event.
After losing the UFC title to Teixeira on Saturday in Abu Dhabi, Blachowicz made no excuses for his failure and promised to return stronger.
“Everything goes wrong with me,” Blachowicz said when reacting to his loss. “I think I left the legendary Polish power in the hotel room. This is not the end of the story. This book is not closed. I’m not a quitter. I’m not going anywhere. I will come back for sure.”
Post a Comment