Kanye West has changed his name to Ye
Kanye West, better known as Kanye West, will soon be known simply as Ye. Late Monday, a Los Angeles judge granted the rapper, producer, and fashion designer's request to officially change his name from Kanye Omari West to Ye, with no middle or last name.
In court documents, the judge, Michelle Williams Court, stated, "There being no objections, the petition for change of name is granted."
"Personal reasons" were claimed in the petition, which was filed on August 24.
In 2018, he announced the name change on Twitter, writing, "I am the being formally [sic] known as Kanye West." "My name is Ye."
Explaining the change in a radio interview that year, the then-West had said: “I believe ‘ye’ is the most commonly used word in the Bible, and in the Bible it means you. So I’m you, I’m us, it’s us.” He said his name “went from Kanye, which means the only one, to just Ye – just being a reflection of our good, our bad, our confused, everything.” Ye was the title of the studio album he released that year.
For years, the musician has gone by the handle Ye on social media. The 44-year-old is now going through a divorce with Kim Kardashian West, who did not request a name change when she filed for divorce in February. West is used by the couple's four children.
Post a Comment